Friday, June 19, 2015

Lest you Consider

me intolerant or a bigot, I would like to submit something I posted earlier this week in class... We are discussing Ethnic literature and this was in reply to the professor's response to an earlier post...


Very good point Zeke.  I know that in light of this topic, it is not exactly couth to say that on minor to moderate disappointment, positive, cheerful responses generate positive outcomes.  I was specifically directing these comments about Satchmo; however, as you mentioned, more serious issues such as slavery and civil rights require a more aggressive solution.  I love to defer to Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. because his approach to fighting for civil rights followed my philosophy of "don't be a part of the problem, but be a part of the solution".  His letter to area ministers in Birmingham, who published a newspaper article censuring King for his actions, is chocked full of valid and logical arguments as to the necessity of the rights of all men, not just white men. "A just law is a man made code that squares with the moral law or the law of God. An unjust law is a code that is out of harmony with the moral law" ("Letter From A Birmingham Jail [king, Jr.]", 1963).  King was in town to protest and was arrested for civil disobedience.  Only when there are those who are willing to pay the price will injustice be made right.

Reference
Letter from a Birmingham jail [King, Jr.]. (1963). Retrieved fromhttp://www.africa.upenn.edu/Articles_Gen/Letter_Birmingham.html

1 comment:

  1. Here is the continuation of the conversation... I thought was noteworthy:

    Message expanded.Message read
    Part of the Solution
    posted by Ezekiel Jarvis at Jun 17, 2015, 2:29 PM
    Last updated
    Jun 17, 2015, 2:29 PM
    Eddie,

    That is a great philosophy. One of the things that we might see over the course of this class is that it really isn't the majority of people who are "evil" or problematic. It might be a relatively small group of people who have a lot of power along with a large group of people who stay quiet while awful things happen. To draw this out a bit, let me ask whether we see much representation of the white working class in this week's readings? Also, are most of the characters that we see in this week's readings working class? Poor? Middle class? Why would this matter.

    Best,
    Zeke Jarvis

    Comment on Jun 19, 2015, 5:00 AMDefault Avatar
    Message expanded.Message read
    Re: Part of the Solution
    posted by EDDIE SLUSSER (you) at Jun 19, 2015, 5:00 AM
    Last updated
    Jun 19, 2015, 5:00 AM
    Hi Zeke,
    I want to assume that this particular question is open to the group, but as you have addressed it to me, I would like to reply myself. I have not thought much about the demographics or statistics of the issues highlighted in this week's readings. It would seem that, at least in our government, we have only a small select handful who dole out and enforce laws. As I considered our nation's leadership, I had to remind myself that they are only in those positions because they were chosen by the majority of their electorate. I may not like how things are going in Washington, but ultimately, I should place most of the blame on those who put them in power. How does this relate to your question? Well, in my estimation, power and riches go together. Those with greater assets exercise authority over others or have greater assets because of their authority over others. This should not be mistaken for success, however. Success comes from choices and not from circumstances. Some people consider wealth to be a measure of success, but I know of many unhappy rich folks. How many people on their deathbeds say, "My only regret is that I didn't have enough money.."? Most people speak of time and relationships in their last moments. Those who have lived fulfilled lives are those who have invested time in people and made time for their loved ones. We are social creatures and no matter what our lot in life, we can find success when we make good use of the one commodity that is equal for everyone: time.

    ReplyDelete