Sunday, September 21, 2014

Value pushing in academia

Just put this on at school...


Value pushing in academia
The trend I see continuing in colleges everywhere is the persuasion of a singular point of view on controversial issues.  I certainly appreciate the mention of both sides of many arguments in the text, but the dominant tone in this course's text and others I have read is grounded in liberal philosophy.  I fully understand that I should not expect everyone to agree with my position on controversial issues; however, I find at best that it is dishonest, if not outright agenda based, to fail to maintain an unbiased balance when addressing such issues.  In truth, for an institution to insist that I am "cramming my views down people's throats", is the rankest form of hypocrisy when one honestly considers the propagation of only one viewpoint through academia.  Bearing that in mind, I feel duty bound and justified to uphold the opposition perspective, if for no other reason than to insist that in the classroom, students are pressured (both directly and indirectly) to conform to the views of the institution on such matters.  Furthermore, I contend that it is in this manner that said instituitions purposefully indoctrinate impressionable minds with their philosophies with the intent to perpetuate their influence on society.  I have made additional comments on my blog which includes references to quotes from this and other courses' texts.  Feel free to peruse and make any comments.  I have learned to not take personally someone's opposing opinion.  It is in how such opinions are applied with which I sometimes take issue.  This is my approach to the application of logic as mentioned in chapter 10.


... For anyone interested, I have recently started building the case of evidence taken from courses at University of Phoenix.  I am loosely citing the information in the APA format.  If you have specific comments about the evidence, I will be happy to discuss...
Here is the link to my working document:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UssO_dx1Lm-TWzaDW_hjvbo4gX004qAc-JQp3Nf4VXo/edit?usp=sharing 

No comments:

Post a Comment