Monday, September 29, 2014

Leveraging Fear

Thought this was worth posting here...

I know that this course is about academic writing.  Previously I went into great detail about my concern about the institution of education using its influence to project its view on issues and more importantly its world view on the youth and college age students across America.  There are so many issues presented in this course that make me want to point out my own views; however, I also realize that arguing a position is not always the most effective means of persuasion.  Persuasion may not be the best word to use.  I will use my brother Ted as an example.  While we agree on many points, we have differing views on many others.  When explaining and supporting my perspective does not convince Ted to my opinion, I have found that I have another way to influence him.  I have learned that using kindness when it doesn’t make sense can have a profound impact on the opinion of others.  There is a saying I learned in the Army that makes sense in this example:
People don’t care how much you know until they know how much you care.  I actually learned this principle from the Bible.  This is the principle of verses like “love your enemies, do good to them that hate you.” and “go with him the extra mile”  Demonstrating compassion and kindness has resulted in more people changing their views than providing them with sound proof that your view is correct.  Think of “pay it forward” and “random acts of kindness”.  Could this be considered an appeal to emotion?  The difference is making the connection with the application where people are.  I don’t mean to ramble, but maybe someone you know can use this.

No comments:

Post a Comment